According to eyewitness accounts, Akmena Manor House was situated on a small hill. In the first half of the 19th century, the counts Hoppen, who lived here, moved to a smaller manor house on the other side of a linden avenue. At the source of an adjacent pond was a power plant that supplied electricity to the manor.
In the second half of the 19th century, a stone-walled Dutch-type Akmena windmill was built in Akmena Manor, that supplied flour to the entire area for years. At the beginning of the 19th century, a stone mill built by the landlord Hoppen was one of the largest mills in Lithuania: with the base diameter of 14 m, top diameter of 7 m, wall thickness of 1 m, and the 12.5-meter-long wings reached the height of 30 m.
Akmena Manor: 1914 and modern times
In 1914, Akmena manor was bought by J.Jankauskas. During the interwar period, the manor hosted banquets to support the local school. The guests gathered to the feast provided funds for the teacher’s salary, school’s heating, pupils’ pencils or notebooks. A story goes that in one of the balls the guests had an opportunity to listen to “Traviata”, the opera by D.Verdi . In 1926, the parcelling of the lands of Akmena Manor was executed. The owner of the manor J.Jankauskas was left with 81.49 ha out of 251.51 ha of land.In 1941, a prosperous manor was nationalised, and Jadvyga Jankauskienė, the widow of J. Jankauskas, with her daughter and son were deported to Siberia. The collective farm “Draugystė”, that took over the mill after the war, had used it for nearly 30 years before abandoning it and leaving it to collapse.
After Lithuania regained its independence, Akmena was returned to its inheritors as a preserved real estate, but it was already severely damaged. The Akmena manor is currently undergoing maintenance and restoration works, cultural and social projects are held here. The library of the manor has been symbolically restored, the books are donated by friends, acquaintances or book authors.