traku-voke-b-02_optimized_1593512722-bb614212b04621050f3d24af73b9f985.jpg
traku-voke-m_optimized_1593512723-9c131c966b7a6ec016b04c8fba1e84a0.jpg
traku_vokes_dvaras_optimized_1593512753-e1a992d62d17c7189c60aee3fc638a78.jpg

Trakų Vokė Manor

History

The name Vokė was first mentioned in 1375, when the Crusader army marched in the area of Trakai. In 1396, this area was tenanted with Tatars by Vytautas the Great and the domain of Vokė belonged to them for a long time.

The surviving manor house formed in the 19th century when the Count Juozapas Tiškevičius (Józef Tyszkiewicz) purchased Trakų Vokė from the then owners Dombrovolskiai. At the end of the 19th century, the land of the manor covered the area of about 800 hectares. The manor house of neo-Renaissance and neo-Classicist style was designed by an Italian architect Leonard Jan Ludwig Markoni, in accordance with the example of the residence of the Kings in Warsaw, while the surroundings and the park were designed by a renowned French landscape architect Eduard François André (1890). The two-storey palace of the Counts Tiškevičiai (Tyszkiewicz), who had been the owners of Trakai Vokė for about a century, was decorated with sculptures, and the interior was extremely luxurious.

In 1939, the then owner of Trakų Vokė Jonas Mykolas Tiškevičius (Jan Michał Tyszkiewicz) was killed, and his wife and children withdrew to the west. The manor was left without hosts. During the war, the manor fell into decay, many things were destroyed. After the war, the manor became the villa of the Council of Ministers, later the Vokė branch of the Dotnuva Agricultural Institute.


The manor today

Since 2014, the manor belongs to Vilnius Municipality Public Institution Trakų Vokė Manor Homestead, and the period of the revitalisation of the manor has started. Today the revitalised manor is open to the society and hosts a variety of events.
Location on the map:


Didn’t find the information you were looking for? Write to us.