Trakai Island Castle
The legendary fortress and the residence of the Grand Dukes of Lithuanian
After the Battle of Grunwald in 1410, when the Teutonic Knights were beaten, the Island Castle lost its great defensive value and became the residence of the Grand Duke. On 27 October 1430, Vytautas died in this castle.
At the beginning of the 15th century, Trakai was a prosperous city with a large number of visitors, hospitable to travellers, merchants, honourable guests and foreign envoys. From 1413 to 1430, Jogaila (Jagiełło), the King of Poland, cousin of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas, visited the castle 13 times.
The period of oblivion
Slow revival since the 19th century
After World War II, the works of preservation, restoration and reconstruction of Trakai castles continued. Eventually, the Trakai Island Castle regained its 15th-century appearance.
In 1962, the island castle was transferred to the Trakai History Museum. It hosts expositions, exhibitions, various events, concerts, festivals and celebrations.